The Bulls clinched victory over a gallant South Australia in the final 30 minutes of the match today, with leg-spinner Mitch Swepson claiming three wickets in 11 balls to wrap-up an outstanding team effort.

On a final day when all eyes were on the final first class innings of South Australian stalwart Callum Ferguson, Queensland had to be both patient and ready to strike when the opportunity presented it self as the home side doggedly mounted their best batting effort of the season.

Queensland's dominant first innings display of 5-496 dec, with free-flowing centuries to captain Usman Khawaja, Matt Renshaw and Jimmy Peirson, put them in the box seat to dictate the progress of the game, a plan that they followed to the letter with their bowling effort that dismissed the Redbacks for just 154.

Swepson spun his way to his third straight five-wicket haul, and the leading wicket-taker in the competition from just three games with his 5-33 the centre-piece of an excellent team bowling effort. Returning paceman Brendan Doggett was also good, snapping up 3-20 while Michael Neser (1-25)  led from the front as always,

The Bulls second innings of 3-105 dec meant that South Australia faced an mammoth run chase. But with Ferguson provided a sentimental edge, combining with young wicket-keeper Harry Nielsen (114) for a stirring partnership.

Ferguson fell ultimately short of a fairytale century, dismissed by Queensland's best bowler in the second innings Mark Steketee.

Steketee trapped Ferguson lbw just three runs short of his milestone and then spearheaded the Bulls' victory push with a fiery last-session spell.

The Warwick product returned the remarkable figures of 4-43 from 28 overs to open the door for a Queensland win either side of tea, before leg spinner Swepson ripped through SA's last three wickets in 11 balls to hand his team a 62-run with a handful of overs remaining in the match.

It's the second time in three Shield outings that the Bulls have snatched a last-gasp win on the final evening after grabbing victory from Tasmania in the dying minutes of the opening round.